Sunday, April 15, 2012

Bike MS Century

It was finally here...... Or is it OMGoodness it's here??????

Either way. Yesterday it was time for the Bike MS Century ride.  What is a Century?  I have now decided that it is for crazy people that want to show off and burn A LOT of calories in a short amount of time....
JUST KIDDING.... Becuase, that would mean that I would have to admit that I am crazy........
Anyhow, Brian, Vincent and I set off at 3:00am to reach Sedona, AZ.  One of Vincent's friends, Meaghan was such a sport and spent the night so she would be here to watch Amanda in the early am.... (she still decides to wake up at 6am :( or earlier)
 Thanks to Brian, Vincent and I were able to sleep for the 2 hour drive. (helped since I didn't get off work until 10pm) The first thing I noticed was the snow :(  Wait really?  It's the 2nd week of April.  I knew we were North but that North....... I hadn't noticed how cold it was due to the large quilt I was wearing.  (we try not to use the heat due to it making Brian completely uncomfortable.)
That moment came..... After I had noticed while waiting in the car it had hailed, snowed and rained; for us to get out of the car and get ready. WHAT WERE WE THINKING?????  It was a nice warm 41degrees outside... ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? 
Vincent being the champ and well pretty much not so smart teenager decided to start in his bike short and bundled up on top.  Me, completely not worried about looking cool at my age.  I was beyond bundled up.  :) 
7:15 and the horn sounded.... Oh I was so incredibly nervous.  We decided to start at when the pack had already passed by.  (no way was I going to ride in the hot mess)
We were making pretty good progress as both of us were shiffering and dreaming about the ride being over.  Of course being a teenager and much more fit than I, Vincent went ahead and I fell back.  He waited for me at the first rest stop.  Seeing how I knew he was riding much faster than I was, I knew that the clothes I had were much better against the wind than his.  So, since the tempature had dropped we decided we would trade clothes....
From then we were both riding seperate.  It was so cold that I had text Brian to get us full gloves (cycling gloves are half) and some kind of feet warmers and meet us at the next rest stop.
A whole day of getting lost, (signs were horrible) rain, hail, snow and lightening we were beyond happy to be completed..........
It overall was fun and such an accomplishment for all of us.  A special thank you to Brian who was the BEST Pit Crew Cheif, and our only help :) I think he was just as tired as we were at the end of the day. 
We would like to publicly Thank some of our SPECIAL supporters.  With out your donations or support, this journey would have never happened.  Thank you so much for helping us become closer to make and help find a cure for Mutliple Sclerosis. 

Ms. Carla Miller
Mr. Steve and Shannon Cook
Trina Diaz & Kevin Lamkin
The UTI Foundation
The Cavaletto Family
Linda J. Nelson (Grandma Linda)
Deborah A. Diaz
Mr. Chris & Tina Nelson
Mr. Chris & Erin Holland
Ms. Crystal Brock
Grandma Eva Shoemaker
Grandpa Mike Cain
Mr. Christopher Pugh
Mr. Matthew & Erica Diaz

Brian has been so great to keep up
with the maintenance on our bikes


And this is what we woke up to

time to get started :( 

Vincent ready to go.... me obvi
I was still trying to warm up

Maybe if I stretch it will help

Over 800 riders!!!!!

And we're off!

First rest stop after
changing clothes with
each other and Vincent staying
up and me falling behind :)

I was telling myself
these were motivational
clouds

Yes, Yes those white
spots were hail

AAAAHHHHHH off
the saddle and into the warm
car

It was a great day with BIKE MS SEDONA.........

Now for our next venture...
In two weeks May 5, 2012 Santa Barbara MS Walk/Run
Train for the So CAL Coastal Century ride in October 5, 2012 and
the MS PF Chang Marathon in January 19, 2013........





1 comment:

Tara said...

You're awesome!! I don't think I'd last on a ride around the block. I'm with you on the whole who cares what you look like, if you're warm thing! Funny how things change when we grow up! Good luck on your next ride(s)!!